Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Flash Skype Status - Part I
The other day, reading my mate Elmer Zinkhann's blog I noticed he has a little Skypes icon showing his status.
I went to the Skype's website and after following a couple of links and adding a bit of my creativity, I ended up with a little flash that shows my status and allows you to start a chat with me if I'm online or leave me a message if not.
What I did is as follows:
Apart from being sure you have the latest SKYPE installed,
- First, allow your status to be shown on the web, following these simple instructions.
- Then select the look the button will have using the skype buttons wizard.
- The image address is what you will use in flash to show your status.
- Create a very small new movie in flash, mine is 120 x 50 pixels.
- Create a movieclip and give it an instance name, ie "image01".
- In the first frame of your movie add the following actionscript:
And that's it!
of course, you will change the image address you got when using the skype buttons wizard.
Upload your swf to your server and embed it into the html page you need to display it.
Bear in mind that if you are behind a proxy, the image will not update properly as flash loads the image from the cache.
-- UPDATE --
Free Skype Status Flash Button
and the latest one of this series:
Easy Skype status in Flash